Can responsive building & design have positive effects on your health?
In short, the answer is yes.
It’s called Biophilic design (meaning love of nature) and apart from being visually stunning, it is just what the doctor ordered for a range of health benefits including lowered stress and anxiety as well as better performance at work.
What is Biophilia?
Biophilia is defined as the inherent human inclination to affiliate with nature.
And therefore, Biophilic design is the incorporation of natural materials, natural light, vegetation, nature views and other experiences of the natural world into the modern built environment.
Since the beginning of time, we as humans have had a connection with nature; we have survived on the fruits of the forest and existed in harmony with the land.
Fast-forward to today, where the growth of tech and urbanism has reached its all time high – we seemingly have culled the wilderness in favour of the concrete jungle.
Biophillic design the practise of re-introducing nature and natural materials into our homes, workspaces, buildings and communal spaces for the better of human performance, health and well-being.
Spending your entire paycheck on houseplants and lush greenery is not Biophilic design.
Sure, the incorporation of plants, sustainable materials and natural products is part of the process, but true Biophillic design will have deep consideration for the;
• Optimisation and organisation of spaces with a human focus
• Thermal comfort levels
• Air quality, toxin levels and ventilation
• Acoustic comfort
• Improved natural and artificial lighting
• Internal and external views onto nature
• The use of natural materials textures, patterns and colours
• The incorporation of recuperative spaces
• Psychological and physiological effects of the space
Good designers will harmonise all of these elements together and produce a visually stunning and highly health-positive, creativity introducing environment. Research suggests the benefits are real, and can affect spaces differently.
Workplaces like Apple, Google and Amazon have implemented Biophilc design in their spaces to extract the best performances from their employees. Sceptical? Check out some stats below.
• Office design: productivity can be increased by 8%, rates of well-being up by 13%, increases in creativity, with reduced absenteeism and presenteeism
• Hospitality design: Guests willing to pay 23% more for rooms with views of Biophilic elements
• Education spaces: increased rates of learning 20-25%, improved test results, concentration levels and attendance, reduced impacts of ADHD
• Healthcare spaces: post-operative recovery times decreased by 8.5%, reduced pain medication by 22%
• Retail: the presence of vegetation & landscaping has been found to increase average rental rates on retail spaces with customers indicating they were willing to pay 8-12 % more for goods and services.
• Homes: can become more calming & restorative, with 7-8 % less crime attributed to areas with access to nature and can command an increase of 4-5% in property price.
Want to be the most stress free, creative and productive version of yourself? You know where to start. For more information on Biophillic design and how we can incorporate it into your build or renovation, please call Modern Rustic on +61426893871.
Images source via Wikipedia and Inhabitat.